CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, September 1, 2007

Taxol Round 2 Day 1

Another early start! Left later than we wanted, but still got there in an hour and 15 minutes!! AND that was with a 10 minute or so DOWNPOUR!!! It was SOOOO bad! But it didn't last too long and I definitely prayed through it!!

Got to the blood lab and got called back very quickly. The nurse I had..WOW!!! First of all, she didn't kill my arm with the strap...it is usually VERY tight and hurts! Hers was just light and didn't hurt at all. THEN, she gives me the MOST gentle stick I've ever had!!! Talk about phenomenal!! You're thinking...oh goodness...phenomenal? YES!!! When you've been stuck as many times as I have, you know a good stick when you feel one and this one was the BEST!! I even told her I wanted HER the next time. What a pro!

Went down to the cafeteria and had breakfast..scrambled eggs, bacon, and hash browns. Delicious!

We arrived at chemo a little early and went in within 5 minutes! They got me started very quickly. I asked about the steroids at the beginning...they are to keep problems from coming up, keep away allergic reaction, and will have a slight anti-nausea effect to it. After the next round they will lower the dosage. Again, this nurse did a wonderful job on the stick to the chemo port-a-cath on my upper chest.

Let me mention here that in the past the disinfectant (or whatever it is that cleans the area to prep it for the stick) is normally hard to bear. It is very strong and the smell has made me nauseous. I've learned that I can just keep my mouth closed and breathe from my nose to keep from smelling it. But this time, I was curious! She cleaned the area but the strong smell wasn't there. I was almost concerned that she hadn't cleaned it! I did, however, smell a lemon smell...kind of like lemon pledge.

When the chemo was through (I graded papers, put grades on a gradebook, and napped for the hour), she took the bandages off and again I smelled the lemon. Obviously, someone did something VERY right!!! The nurse last time (when I mentioned it being so strong) said it would be nice if they made it a more settling scent. And there it is!! :) So, I didn't start or end my treatment with that ick of a smell! yeah!! Every little bit helps and that was a biggie!

Afterwards, we went to Micheals for some letter stamps for a project I have going. Then to WalMart for groceries. We parked WAAAAAAAY on the end of the parking lot. (ahem) I mentioned that someone must have forgotten that someone else had JUST had chemo!! lol

Hoping with this feeling well we'll go to Cynthia's tomorrow! It has been our plan and Graland mentioned it today, so hopefully I'll still be doing well in the morning for church and we'll make our way over. :) Haven't seen anyone since Zach's graduation!

0 comments: