CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Taxol Round 9: THREE to go!

We had that same extremely efficient nurse again! I really like her. I told her she was the FIRST nurse that I've had more than once...there are just so many! And that we had already decided in our discussions following chemo that she was the most efficient. She said OH NO! Now I've really got to be on my toes! :o) And, of course, she was wonderful again.

She asked about my port...they all do. Oh good! It is available! I asked about that. Mine is very defined and visible under my skin. She said many women gain weight during the treatments so the port sinks and they have trouble accessing it. Or, just the way it was put in...sometimes it will move from where it was stitched in...handiwork of your surgeon. She said mine did a very good job. And I agreed. Mine has stayed steadfast. Yeah! Dr. Ross! You can see in the picture the incision and the port below it. There is a little dot in the center of the port...that is where it was accessed today for chemo. Doesn't hurt when they access it. One, two, three, take a deep breath...it's in. I have my shirt pulled to the side for the picture. Normally, you'd never know it was there! (Abbie took the picture at an angle!!)

As she was asking how the Taxol has been for me, I said the most noticeable side effect was the numb toes and fingers. She asked if I had told my doctor. (yes) Because sometimes they will stop your treatment. The numbing is the result of nerve damage and they don't want it to get too bad...or permanent. But that they really don't want to stop something that is so good and working if they don't have to. I said mine wasn't debilitating and that I wouldn't want to stop the treatments. I only have THREE more to go! My last is Nov. 10.

I had such a hard time going to sleep last night. My legs hurt so bad. About 11:30 I got up and took a Tylenol and went right to sleep. I'll have to remember that next week.

Diagnosed with breast cancer January 29, 2007.
Mastectomy (4/09/07) Reconstruction (4/25/07) & Chemo. Keep me in your prayers.
Big chemo 1 2 3 4 Taxol (weekly)1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

JoAn,
I was preparing for my lesson Wed. night and came across a story of a man who reminds me of you, your journey with cancer, and your continued strong faith. I just wanted to share it with you. It's kind of long, but hang in there.

Brad Coleman was quickly becoming a very talented worship leader. In fact God had called him to vocational ministry. As Brad was finishing up some college courses and preparing to go to school for biblical training, he was diagnosed with leukemia. Obviously this was devastating for him and his wife and family.
Brad spent the next two months in the hospital undergoing chemotherapy. Brad could have been negative and questioned God as to His plan and calling, but instead Brad saw the hospital as his ministry. Over the course of the next several months, Brad was able to minister to the hospital staff. He would ask them about their lives and family. He would ask them about the things of Christ. He would ask them about some things he could be praying about for them. In a time where they were called upon to serve his physical needs, Brad took time to minister to their spiritual needs. He built relationships with his doctors, nurses, and even the janitorial staff. During the time in the hospital, Brad saw his ministry unfold before his eyes. Obviously a this time in his life he had to be at the hospital. Brad has been back to the hospital for several long stays, and each time he continues to build new relationships and ministry opportunities. Brad does not want to be in the hospital any more than most want to be in school or at a job they don't like, but Brad has found a much bigger purpose even than being healed. Brad has found a missin field and has become a missionary to the hospital staff. God is using Him in a way he never dreamed of and in a place he really does not find enjoyable. God can use you wherever life finds you, no matter what the circumstances are.

Thank you for allowing God to use you, JoAn, no matter where you are and what you are going through. He truly does work in mysterious ways. Many times when I have felt that I should be ministering to you in your hard times, you continued to lift me up and make me a stronger Christian...a better person. Thanks!! I love you!!!