CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 10, 2007

R4 D8 met w/the plastic surgeon

The other day Kaci asked about when they did plastic surgery...what....? She was confused about the plastic part. I assured her that he didn't put any plastic in me. lol That they can move skin from one place to another to help heal that area We agreed that 'plastic' was an odd word to use sometimes! :)

It was so good to see Kronowitz without having to leave the house at 4am!! Lately, I had only seen him for surgeries which required an early morning to get there by 6am. So, this 1:15 appt was perfect. Left about 10:30, got there without much traffic, had time to eat at the May's cafeteria and do some shopping before the appointment.

I did want to pass by the Appearances shop before my appt. It's on the 2nd floor along with the place where I get the blood samples taken, a gift shop, hospitality room, Wellness center (classes you can take), the cafeteria, and the skywalk. Many more things on the 2nd floor...also a lending library. Appearances has breast prosthesis, swimsuits for mastectomy patients, jewelry, hats, scarves, gifts, etc in their shop. I go in every time we visit just to look around. I've gotten a cap on clearance there once. It's pretty wild looking...a very colorful animal kinda print. Actually, not a cap, but more of a do-rag! I love it.

But after researching online and knowing there was such a thing as a nipple prothesis and also knowing that they had breast prosthesis, I thought I'd check before my appt. However, I've never seen anything there before. Went in and went to the breast section and there it was! Nipolean!! I couldn't believe it. The Lord has just never directed my eyes to it before. I guess it wasn't in my mind or knowledge of its' existence so didn't know to look before. But it was there in different sizes and colors. A very flexible silicone. Goes on with a roll-on water soluble glue. Reminds me of a soft contact in how it feels and how it is applied. AND!!!!! it was in the $30 range!!!!! So after talking with the lady...she suggested I take them to the dressing room to get the right size/color for me to match! :) (Granted there are only two colors to choose from.) I was thrilled and bought it right away.

I told Graland, who was waiting outside the shop, that I was giddy and could cry I was so happy!! It was this huge weight off my shoulders and such a relief that I can't describe. It made going into my appt with Kronowitz a breeze and I could go in confidently. I had already decided to let him know my plans and to say that I knew that SOMEWHERE out there were these prostheses and that I would search til I found something. Thus far it had been vague..guess I wasn't doing a good enough search online.

So, we wait in the waiting room until about 4:15 (3 hours). Read a couple of Reader's Digest and just talked...I had nowhere else to go and it was a nice rest. Graland made the most lovely remark about how Kronowitz was in there with women who were just starting this journey and that we weren't in that position anymore, but on the 'getting released' side of it. And yes, I wanted him to spend as much time with them as he needed. Never got upset that we waited or questioned the receptionist or anything...it was very pleasant!

I went back with a nurse I hadn't had before. She asked if this was a visit (already knowing my file) to talk about possible refinements. I said I was hoping for a visit to talk about possible no refinements! lol She smiled, well, then to talk about nipple reconstruction? no, not that either. I'm very happy with where I am now. She smiled and laughed...well you're an easy patient! lol I told her I had just bought the prosthesis and that I was over the moon. That with a bra or swimsuit I was "normal". She said Really? Even a swimsuit? One side doesn't 'show' and the other one 'not'. (not getting more specific here) I told her I didn't do suits that 'showed' anything...don't like those kinda suits and the one I do have is slighted padded and no, nothing shows, and they're a perfect match. I'm happy!

She left and after a bit Kronowitz, the nurse, another doctor-in-training, and Jennifer (who I was missing and hoped to see) came in. He was in such a good mood today and had already talked to the nurse and knew how I was feeling and my thoughts on going further. He asked if it was the thought of implants or the surgery. Well, yes the implants bothered me a bit, but yes, the surgery was a big part too! lol He laughed. Said I was looking very good and that surgery must have agreed with me. I laughed and said Yeah, I shoulda done it a long time ago! lol

Then he checked his work and said that it was too early anyway to be thinking about any further surgeries...that he wouldn't be suggesting it this early. The breast still needs to soften a lot more and will over time. He said in about 6 months we'd talk again and he'd see if he can sway me then. I told him I'd listen then. He also said he could do a lift without an implant and that that could be another option.

After they left, Jennifer stayed behind to catch up on me. We talked a bit more about reconstruction and what it entailed. One part was just a liposuction on the side he did to soften it a bit...would take a few minutes, no big deal. I'm open to that. The other was the lift w/o implants. She did assure me that NONE of the remaining surgeries would be ANYTHING like what I've already gotten. They couldn't compare...and to not be afraid to go further...but that, like Kronowitz said, it was still too early to be thinking about surgeries.

Got home, relaxed and showered. Got my new friend as I showered to see how it worked. Just like a contact! Even with just water from the shower the suction it gets just from the dampness adhered it (w/o the glue). It is morning now and still no sign of it wanting to fall off. I'm not sure how to describe it. Like having your husband go away for several months. You miss him..you get along day by day...and things go on as much as usual. But then he comes back and you just don't know what you did without him. The part of you that was missing ... returned. I guess that's what it is like. The part of me missing..that left me incomplete..is back.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE this post! Suzsh - your stalker :)