CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Finished out the school year!

I worked hard at getting to this point, felt I was ready to do it, and guess what?! I was able to teach the last week of school!! Of course the last week is probably the most hectic, yet most rewarding week of the school year!

The kids were just so happy to see me again (hoping I'm not sounding pompous here...don't mean to, but they were just as happy as I was!). I love my babies and I missed each one of them.

Getting ready. The weekend before coming back, Graland and the girls helped me out a LOT at school. Graland tore out green paper that would become grass skirts. Kaci outlined some Hawaiian kids and some Aloha posters for our Luau decorations (that the kids would color). Graland went through each cubby and gathered all the text books. We did an inventory and put all the books in the shelves. Took up dry erase boards and offices. Did several pages of copying for the week ahead. Awards day was coming up, so I got awards together to take home to complete. Also submitted grades as Mrs. Evans had gotten those all put in. When it finally looked like a 'go' we went home. It felt great knowing I could step back in.

When the kids saw me they yelled and jumped around. :) I made sure they each got a big hug and kiss and a Gosh, I missed you!! Everything seemed to go back to what Dr. Sewell says about building relationships. I just couldn't end the year without those relationships being reconfirmed.

I had morning work on their tables and a Scholastic News for them to do as they came in. I quickly refocused their attention to it and let them know we had an art project for when they finished. So they worked quietly until well after announcements. We checked worked, then started in on our grass skirts.

Awards day came and went very smoothly. It was an hour and a half. The kids got a little antsy after a while, but for the most part it was good. It was very hard to sit through it though. My back ached and screamed. But it was worth it when my parents would come over and welcome me back. This night especially, I slept like a rock. In fact, I came home and went straight to the recliner to sleep.

By the final day all the tables were all put back together...they had all been separated because of talking. But those who were at lone desks were thrilled to be part of a group again and worked well with the other students.

By Friday we had our grass skirts completed, Luau decorations hung, posters colored, and furniture labeled with "Do Not Move" or with my name/room number on them. I sat and put tape on the strips of paper and the kids went to EVERY piece of furniture in the room and labeled it. They LOVE to help and knew I was doing well to sit and direct the happenings in the room! I can't say how proud I am of them and how they did to make this last week so enjoyable!

Our final day was bittersweet. They all wanted to make sure I'd be here next year, which I assured them I would be. By the time the day was over we had all the decorations packed away, room cleaned, and we were all ready for the summer break.

I goes without saying, but I would be completely remiss if I didn't say how much I loved being with the second grade team again. They were awesome and made sure I knew I could call on them if I needed too. I love you second grade team!!! xxxooo

0 comments: