CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 19, 2007

On to surgery!!!

We met with Deborah first, the PA at Dr. Ross' office. She said everything was looking good and that if everything was going as planned we wouldn't see her for another 6 months, when I came back in for a mammogram. The HUGE thing she passed along was that Dr. Ross took 32 lymph nodes and only TWO of them were affected! It also mattered how much of the lymph node itself was affected and apparently it 'fit in' the node and didn't destroy it. Looked at my drains and said NO WAY was Kronowitz going to let those go today!!

Then saw Dr. Kronowitz, the plastic surgeon. He told us not to use the ointment we were using on the incisions anymore...routine. They gave us a slightly different medication to use in it's place. No more bandaging, but to keep it open so it will dry and heal faster. Told them the only "complaint" as such was the pulling sensation in my arm. I asked if they took any muscle when they took the lymph nodes, and he said no. It is just the cutting of so many nerve endings. But I will eventually have full range of motion again.

Deborah added some saline or whatever it is they use to the expander. Another 50ml. Told him I was happy with the size I was at the moment and didn't want to look like Barbie!! He laughed and said it wasn't the size I was going to be, but just to make sure the skin was pliable, usable, and healthy to go into surgery, if I had it next week. They were waiting for the Radiation Oncologist meeting. Deborah said the expander has a magnetic port inside. They use this magnetic 'finder' to locate the port and then insert a needle to fill the expander pocket. Kronowitz said it wouldn't hurt and I took him at his word and told Deborah that HE said it wasn't going to hurt! lol So she put in the needle and started to fill the pocket slowly. She kept asking how I felt and I kept reminding her that Kronowitz SAID it wasn't going to hurt, so it didn't. Then she said, it is mostly just putting in the needle that may hurt, so I relaxed and said Good, then we have that part out of the way! :D

True to what I had heard, Kronowitz said the drains weren't empty enough to remove, so we'll keep them on until surgery, when we'll get new ones.

On to radiology and Dr. Woodward. Talked with the fellow first and she said we were still in the gray area. WHAT?! They told us originally that if 3 or 4 or more were affected, then we'd have radiation. Dr. Woodward said it would be my call since either way would be good. She talked about pros and cons and studies and whatnot, but supported our decision to opt out of radiation. She asked what made me lean toward NOT having it. I picked up the book Graland had in his hands and said You might pooh pooh this, but THIS is what is helping with this decision. I know God and using my own mind positively will have a huge effect on improvement and the immune system. The book was Bernie Siegel, MD Love, Medicine, and Miracles. This book, in agreement with a small book Barbara Hester (from school) have called God's Creative Power for Healing made it a decision I could stand on. Her book was completely scripture based, healing passages, but also how our positive attitude and thinking on those things positive and how they affect our bodies and healing.

So we are back and thrilled that I am set for reconstruction next Wed., April 25...yes, Graland's birthday! I'll go in the day before for pre-op stuff, and then will be in the hospital for 5 days. It will be a bit more to the 2nd surgery...with the tummy being involved. If you care to look it up, I am having a DIEP reconstructive surgery.

Feeling a bit tired now...but was thrilled to go to the LIFT tonight for about 10 minutes to give encouragement and prayer to a LIFT sister as she has done for me so openly. ((hugs))

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every time I think about your results, the same song keeps going through my head and (unfortunately for those around me who have to listen to me sing) out of my mouth.

What a Mighty God we serve!
What a Mighty God we serve!
Angels bow before Him.
Heaven and Earth adore Him.
What a Mighty God we serve!!!

God is SOOOOO amazing!! The results are exactly what we asked for (no more than 2, no more than 2). I am just floating, and I know you and your family are too. I love you!
Donna