CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 13, 2008

the hair

hmmm....I seem to keep coming back to the hair, don't I?! I understand not wanting to scare the students, but right now I think it would have been easier that the students knew my history. Instead of "why did you get your hair cut" or "it makes you look old" or whatever, they could be saying "It's coming back in" or "look how long it is". Could be seeing someone come THROUGH cancer and live. I guess those who will be there will wonder when I take the survivors walk at Relay for Life. I have not wanted to keep my illness a secret, but will -in school- out of respect to those who've given me so much.

Two sides of the story...
boy student I had last year: During bus duty. Did you cut your hair? (yes, during Christmas) It freaked me out! (oh, yeah?) Like this side looks like a girl and this side looks like a boy. (Another teacher steps in...uh, I don't think so! I think it looks nice. The teacher later tells me she can't believe the boy was so rude esp. since he knew.... that is when I interrupted her and said, No, he didn't know...no one does.)

teacher of student I have in class this year: K is so excited about your hair! (really?) Yes, she says you have the Freaky Friday haircut! (Yeah, I showed them a picture of Jamie Lee Curtis/Freaky Friday lady before I showed them the haircut. I'm glad you told me...I really needed to hear that!)

The first couple of days were difficult. It was a lot to throw on the students without warning. Although I could have gotten a "haircut" like this on my own and not thought anything of it. But it was time for me to step forward...I don't want to be like the other person who wore her wig and no one ever knew. I want more to be the one who went without to be a witness to the others who need the strength to be "themselves".

HOWEVER...wearing the wigs have been THE most fun!!! I loved shopping online for just the right one and getting to wear it. It didn't itch, it wasn't hot...but it WAS fun to wear. I would encourage ANY woman who want to "keep her hair" to definitely shop for a wig!! And I would also those around her to be supportive of whatever she decides to do....being with or without a wig. I had so many bad vibes from those who thought they were being supportive. "You should go bald...it's your head." When I had already gotten a wig and LOOKED FORWARD to wearing it! I mean, dang, I went through enough already...support me in what *I* want to do with my hair! Sorry, this has been a sore subject with me that only a couple people knew about.

------------
Spiked hair update! lol Tried it a couple times this week and I must say...I think it needs to be longer to do anything! Someone from church gave me some wax today and I will try it tonight before my shower. She says it really works...so we'll see!

0 comments: