CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Life Flight

I have a student "G" who has changed medications several times since coming to our school. Very ADHD, loud, argumentative, doesn't let things drop. He is very bright, but I have a hard time keeping him focused..he'll sleep (meds) or stare into space. Mom/doctors changed his meds again. So it is his 2nd day on this medication and we've already had some going back and forth during class...not doing work, etc. I say that's fine, whatever you don't do in class can easily be done during recess. (Usually gets any student to finishing their work in record time!) We come back from lunch and he's got his head back and looks like he needs to vomit. I ask if he needs to throw up (while other student's are coming in getting their seats) and he says no. But he looks strange to me...not his usual strange-ness (smirky looks, mad faces, head rolling...which I know are all med related)..so I'm not calling him strange...but his mannerisms... Anyway, he doesn't look right and his arms are out and frankly he is scaring me to death. I take him by the arm and tell him to put his arm on mine and we leave to go to the nurse. I normally just send them down with a note, esp if I have a class in there. But I left w/o even having work on their desks...which I have NEVER done!!

I walk G down the hall and as I walk in the nurse's office I say that he is scaring me. She sits him down and immediately asks for his emergency card and the phone. You would think Christ Himself was there...and He was. Our nurse is the most amazing person I know. She sat so calmly with him and just was so upbeat and happy when it was evident to me that she was screaming inside...she knew the seriousness of this and never let on to G.

We try calming G, but he keeps putting his head way back...he is afraid his tongue is going to fall out. We're keeping his arms back in his lap and stroking his back and face to keep his attention and focus. She calls Mom and gets her on her way. He continually puts tissue in his mouth..I guess so he can feel something there...I don't know. Nurse says he is having a bad reaction to this new med. (OK...by this time Principal has come in and other aids, etc...my room has been taken care of though they have no idea what has happened to me...just that I need someone in my room)

We wait a few minutes on Mom and the nurse says, I can't wait any longer...I need an ambulance. They came immediately, assessed him, and said We're not taking him local, he needs to go to Hermann in Houston.

Paramedics put him on the stretcher and roll him down the hallway, which was completely empty..thankfully. I didn't know until later that they had kept classes from coming down the hall so they wouldn't see anything and be scared. Much longer story...short...he was lifeflighted to Hermann and by then they had given him something to take away all his bad reactions. I saw him the next day with Mom...we had an ARD for speech for him. He was doing great, but Mom kept him out for the day to rest him up again. Our morning work for the day was to make Get Well Soon cards, which was neat. G was able to tell the class about his helicopter ride and he got to pick up all his cards. He is now completely off all his meds and I feel he is easier to be around now. Yes, he has his tendencies, but he is OK. The Lord taught me a lot about love and patience. G and I play frisbee everyday at recess (well, a BUNCH of us play it). I see how fragile each of these students are and keep a keener eye on them. I just thank God so much that He allowed me to see past what I would normally call "please go sit down" behavior. I beat myself up thinking "What if I attributed this to just how he is?" and told him to go sit down. I have to think that God's spirit interceded and took control over this situation.

0 comments: