CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

1 year checkup: Day 1

Early start...1st test is at 8am, so we leave home around 6 to get through traffic. We get there without any problems.

First test is a bone density scan. The bones can become weaker with the Tamoxifen so this is something they keep an eye on. OR the tam can strengthen the bone!!! go figure! I've not had this scan done before and a girl sitting beside me tells me it's no big deal and the less offensive of all the scans you can get. She is SO right! Unlike the CAT scan or MRI, the bone density machine does not go all the way around you. You still lay on the bed, but the machine has an "arm" that goes along your body slowly from above. It's almost like the metal bar they use at airports to wave over you to see if you have metal on you. But this metal bar goes parallel to the bed. Took just a few minutes. The results came back NORMAL! It scanned my hip/abdomen area, then one hip, then the other hip. I had to put on scrubs for the test and instead of changing back into my clothes, the fellow gave me a bag for my clothes so I didn't have to change each time today.

Then I had the bloodwork and chest x-ray. The nurse taking blood asked if I had had chemo yet. Yes. Thought so, your veins are real scarred from the chemo and it's hard to get to them. She did a great job though...I don't think I've ever had one that I didn't like. Chest x-ray is just standing in front of the x-ray machine and get a front and side view scan. Came back good!

Next I went to Dr. Green's office and asked for a prescription for the IV team for my CAT scan. I do not normally have good success with the IV's, so she suggested this several months ago. And after hearing what the girl said during bloodwork I was really wanting one! So I speak with one of the PA's from her office and she said Yes, definitely get the IV team, but that I did not need a prescription...just to ask. So when I signed in I requested the IV team do my IV and they wrote it on my chart. When they called me to the back they said they'd get someone for me and instantly someone was there...they had happened to be there and were about to leave when they snagged her for me! :) She asked about my other experiences and I said I infiltrated once and they both just kinda smiled, Yeah...I can see why you want the team here. lol Also that the last time they tried numerous times to get it and had to finally put it in near my thumb, which hurt immensely (still have a scar). She looked and looked and slapped and put in a warm towel trying to find a vein. Finally she looked closer to my wrist area and found one there. One stick and it was in. Yeah!

So, off to the CAT scan. Took a few short naps while waiting for this to come about. Finally called back and told them the same thing...infiltrated before...so they took good care. Did the initial scans, then told me it was time for the iodine contrast. It hurt initially just a bit, but the scan took less than a minute to complete...and then it was over.

THEN...it was time to eat! Couldn't eat 3 hours prior to the CAT. It was regular lunch time, so I wasn't in dire straits thankfully.

0 comments: