CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

got a surgery date

We got a surgery date... Monday, April 9, 2007.

I'll go in on April 4th for a CT scan and a bone scan, then again on the 5th to meet with Dr. Ross about the results. I told the second grade team and the principal and assistant principal (we were in the middle of a meeting when I got the call) and we have Mrs. Evans coming to take over for me on the 4th until I can come back.

Talked with Debbie, the PA from Dr. Ross's office. She called during our conference time...wasn't that convenient?! Bonnie called Donna's room and asked if I was in there, that I had a phone call. They sent the call to the media room and I left with a "Pray for me" as I went to take the hall. I heard a "we already are!" as I exited.

Took the call and Debbie said we had a surgery date of April 9, the day after Easter. I noticed on the way home after reflecting on the call that she never mentioned the word mastectomy. That was very nice! smile.gif Anyway, as I said above, we'll go in for a CT scan and bone scan on the 4th. Since the cancer has metastasized to the lymph nodes, they want to make sure it hasn't gone anyplace else. So they do the chest and bone, which would be the next place it would go.

Then on the 5th we'll go back and get the results and talk with Ross. At some point we will go in and talk with the plastic surgeon, but at this time, I don't have a time/date for that.

Now, looks like it will be 12 weeks of chemo (Tamoxifen), which will come 3 or 4 weeks after surgery, so I can heal from the surgery. Then it would be followed with radiation...if that is needed. If I DO need radiation, then that will bump my reconstructive surgery 6 months. sad.gif They just can't do a reconstructive then shoot it with radiation and tear it up.

She said something about 4-6 intense courses of chemo, but I'm not sure what that means exactly.

She also said she is going to call in a radiation oncologist to speak with us if we have to do radiation.

Also, keep a good diet, no vegan diets or anything that will cause me to lose weight before surgery....so I am back on "real" foods to get me back up a little before I go in for surgery.

0 comments: