CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 11, 2007

yearly exam & Kingwood

Well, it's December and since my BC prescription is on its last month, I need to get my yearly womans exam. The doctor does a quick breast check..VERY quick and kinda goes back and asks if I've ever felt this bump before. No, can't say that I have. She asks if I've ever had a mammogram before. No, I'm still a child, only 40. smile.gif So, I do already know this was the year for my first mammogram. Instead of the regular exam I get the diagnostic mammogram and they do about 8 spot checks of this one lump. This is Jan. 11, 2007

Oh, yea, let me back-track. My blog is called the little b gets the Big C. I'm a "smaller" size chest...a nice nearly B. lol.gif Hence, the "little b"!

Moving forward...so I am sent from the mammogram straight over to ultrasound where she spends some time taking pictures of the lump. And gets them sent over to radiology and from there back to my doctor.

Dr. B calls me and says it looks abnormal and that I need to get a biopsy done for it. OK...although I've heard from another teacher it was the worst thing she's ever been through. ummm....now I know why! :oh

So, Wed., Jan. 24, I am sent to a Dr. W, a surgeon who will do the biospy. I am all syched up for the biospy, ready, prepared. Have a sub in my room. DH and I go see Dr. W and wait for over 2 hours. Read everything there is in the waiting room. The receptionist is so apologetic and embarrassed that we have had to wait for so long, but Dr. W is doing a procedure elsewhere. He finally get there and the nurse walks me back and just has me go in the room. I ask, because I'm getting kinda a strange feeling and ask, "Now, I AM getting a biopsy done today, right?" Oh, no ma'am, I'm so sorry, I didn't realize you thought that! Dr. W always meets with the patient first and discusses things ahead of time." uh, huh. So....finally meet with Dr. W and he does a breast check and asks a ton of questions...

do you have a history of breast cancer in the family: no
are you menopausal: no
drink, smoke, do drugs: no
no to everything he asks.

So, we move to options: He says if HE does the biopsy, he's going to make an incision, take out a bunch, blah, blah, OR, he can send me to Kingwood where there is a Breast Care Center where they have much more updated equipment and get a core biopsy (big needle) and no incision. I opt for that! smile.gif They call Kingwood and we pick up all the scans I've had so far and mammogram films to be ready and off to Kingwood I go!

0 comments: